Wednesday 7 February 2007

Anne Hathaway-Secretly Gay?

Scarlet magazine's online weekly, Harlot featured this juicy tidbit in their gossip column:


"Which young Hollywood actress is a closet lesbian? She's been trying to make her image a bit racier by wearing semi-transparent dresses on the red carpet, and is rather worried that her orientation may affect her career. Who would have known the devil wears sensible shoes?"


Is that a glaring hint that the starlet in question could be The Devil Wears Prada actress Anne Hathaway? Excuse me while I pray to my big lesbian goddess in the sky (yes, Gina Gershon!) that it is so!

And judging by that dress, it is...

This article is running away with me.Originally it was just what you see above, but then I decided to do more research, and I throwed up this:

http://celebrities.netscape.com/story/2006/12/29/anne-hathaway-hangs-out-at-a-new-york-gay-bar-after-being-turned-away-at-another-club/



Well, the URL kind of gives that one away! To save you the trouble of clicking on it, the meat of the story is "Anne Hathaway spent the Friday night before Christmas living it up at a New York gay bar", which does at least go to show that even if she isn't queer, she's queer-friendly.


Although, one could say she's already proved how gay-friendly she is by playing the wife of a gay man in Brokeback Mountain (in which she gave a stellar performance, in my opinion).

All of which looked quite promising for my hopes, until I found out that her brother is gay, which explains why she might be so pro-LGBT.

But then I found this quote from The New York Post:

"This actress was always the goody goody.

She has worked hard to change that image by doing less family friendly films and making sure to wear enough see through dresses on the red carpet.

She wanted to lose the squeaky clean image to get better roles, but also to sell the idea that she was sexy and desirable to men.

She has no desire for men, just wants the world to perceive her as a sex symbol.

Everything was going according to plan until her last movie for which there were raves.

There she met another actress and love was in the air. They were inseparable for the entire shoot and even got an apartment to share.

Once filming ended, our actress decided to end the relationship for fear it would damage her career.

The new lover who has been quietly out for sometime and is quite the scene stealer thinks our actress should get smart and stop pretending and start living."



Most of this is just confirming the snippet from Harlot, but the reference to a romance with a co-star intrigued me, so I thought I would do some more digging.

Emily Blunt, Anne's co-star in The Devil Wears Prada starred in My Summer Of Love (http://imdb.com/title/tt0382189/) as a sexy, precocious young teenager who indulges in a lesbian romance, which makes her a possible candidate.

However, Heather Matarazzo (The girl Anne is hugging on the right) who appeared in both of The Princess Diaries films has a massive list of queer credentials.

She played a journalist from lesbian magazine Curve in (very) lesbian drama The L Word (double the lez!), appeared as herself in Fabulous! The Story Of Queer Cinema, has been interviewed on The Rosie O'Donnell Show, oh yeah, and her IMDb profile (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000525/bio) says that she is actually gay!

"In April 2005, she was the keynote speaker at the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network of Boston's 15th annual conference, at Brookline High School, where she described her struggle to gain acceptance of her sexuality. "It was such a burden, because I had to pretend to be this person that I wasn't.""

AND, tellingly:

"Became great friends with Anne Hathaway during the shooting of The Princess Diaries (2001). They still call each other frequently and hope to be friends for the rest of their lives."

*Jumps up and down in excitement*She could well be Anne's secret co-star lover! If indeed Anne is actually gay.But I think the facts speak for themselves.And even if she isn't gay, she is still of course a good actress and a pretty nice person.

My apologies for the sloppy structuring of this article.It was originally quite short, but the idea ran away with me.My research was throwing up so much good stuff, and I wanted to get it up as soon as possible.

No comments:

Visit my Internet Rainbow